Sunday, April 4, 2010

PSE7 - Edited files no longer being...

When I first started using PSE7 I would edit a photo and when I went to save as it was automatically renamed for me as the file name_edited_1 and was saved with all the tags of the original photo and was then placed in a stack. About a week ago this stopped happening and I am not sure why.?I am now having to manually rename the picture and re-tag it.?I then have to manually place it in a photo stack.?Can anyone tell me why this is happening or what I can do to get it to go back to doing it automatically??I would appreciate any help.?Thank you.

PSE7 - Edited files no longer being...

When you invoke Save, make sure the option Save In Version Set With Original is checked.

PSE7 - Edited files no longer being...

I just checked and, no the save in version set is not checked.?However I cannot check it.?The box and text is all grayed out and I can't figure out how to check the box. Include in the organizer is checked as is color icc profile and use lower case extension.?I have the option to check save as copy but that is all.?How can I make save in version set accessible?

And just as a side note... this feature was working when I first started using PSE 7 a few months ago.?It has just recently stopped working.

Try doing File %26gt; Catalog %26gt; Repair.

Even though it said there were no repairs to be made I went ahead and had it repair.?However it did not fix the problem.?Any other suggestions??And thank you for your help.?I really appreciate it.

Repairing the catalog usually solves this problem for PSE 5, but I haven't heard of any reports of it being effective for PSE 6 and 7.

One more thing to check: In the Organizer, go to Help %26gt; System Info. What is the full path of the catalog folder? For one of the problem photos, what is its full folder path??If photos are being stored in subfolders of the catalog folder, there can sometime be problems saving in version sets with PSE 7.?But let's verify these paths first.

I have no idea what any of this information means so I am just posting it in hopes you can help.?I tried clicking on a picture to see if the info changed but nothing ever did.?I am not sure I did it right.?The other thing is that there aren't just a few ''problem'' photos.?None of them work.?Every picture I have tried to save as a version set cannot be saved as such.?Anyway, here is the system info.

Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0.0.0
Core Version: 7.0 (20080916.r.508356)
Language Version: 7.0 (20080916.r.508356)

Current Catalog:
Catalog Name: My Catalog
Catalog Location: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\Catalogs\My Catalog\
Catalog Size: 9.2MB
Catalog Cache Size: 63.5MB

System:
Operating System Name: XP
Operating System Version: 5.1 Service Pack 3
System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:15 Stepping:6 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP
Built-in Memory: 2GB
Free Memory: 1GB

Important Drivers / Plug-ins / Libraries:
Microsoft DirectX Version: 9.0
Apple QuickTime Version: 7.60
Adobe Reader Version: 7.0
Adobe Acrobat Version: Not installed

CD and DVD drives:
D: (SONY CDRWDVD BUS: 1 ID: 1 Firmware: CRX310S)
E: (TSSTcorp DVD+-RW BUS: 1 ID: 1 Firmware: TS-H553A)

Good.?And what is the full path of one of the photos you can't save in a version set?

I don't know how to find the path of the photos and it isn't just one or two photos that this is happening with.?None of them will save in a version set.?Can you tell me how to find the full path of a photo? Thank you.

To get the folder path of a photo, right-click its thumbnail in the Organizer and make sure Show Properties is checked.?In the Properties window, the full path is at the bottom, to the right of the yellow folder icon:

\\Network_storage\Erica\My Photos\2009\May 09\May 29\

I hope that is what you are looking for.

Yup. So that confirms you haven't tripped over the bug I was thinking of.?But the fact that you're using a network drive is suspicious -- network drives cause lots of catalog problems for PSE.

1. Did you just start using the network drive, or have you been using it all along?

2. Did the person who administers the network drive make some changes to it recently?

I have used a network drive the entire time I have used PSE, clear back to version 4 and no, no changes have been made to the network drive.

Try deleting the Editor's preferences:

http://www.johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshopelements-6-7-faq.htm#Delete_the_Edi tors_preferences

Also, let's see if the problem is related to the network drive. Put a test photo on your C drive (e.g. on your desktop), import the photo into your catalog, edit it, and see if you can save as a version set.

Hooray! Deleting the editor's preferences worked!?The picture now saves as a version set.?Thank you so much for all of your help!?You have been?SO helpful and patient with me.?I really apprecaite all of your advice and work.?Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Glad it works again.

This is a problem that commonly strikes PSE 5, and deleting the preferences solves it.?I didn't think it was a PSE 6/7 solution, but I was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment