Friday, April 2, 2010

Place anchored frame next to table

Hey everybody!

I got a problem placing an anchored text frame (marginalia) next to a table. I want the text frame to be in the same paragraph as the table so thereby not producing an extra paragraph before the table. The problem is that when I put the cursor in the paragraph of the table and try to insert an anchor there an extra paragraph is produced. I could actually avoid this by manually placing the anchor in any of the table cells but I'm running Javascripts to place an XML file automatically. Does anybody know a solution for this??

Place anchored frame next to table

I think what's happening is that ID always puts a table on it's own line, and is considering the anchor to be a character, thus devoting an entire line to it all by itself. I've managed to fool ID into not doing that by putting the cursor at the end of the previous paragraph, holding Shift and clicking at the beginning of the first line after the table, and set the leading to 0.

The only real problem with this is you can't see the line with the anchor.

Edit: that isn't really fooling ID into not doing it, it's more telling ID not to devote any space to it.

Place anchored frame next to table

Hi! Thanks for your quick reply. This solution is hard to automate plus when I tried it I still had an extra paragraph with the anchor before the table. This might be due to me doing it wrong though. Anyway, isn't there a way to tell Indesign when sth. really tiny like an anchor is inserted in the same paragraph as the table it shouldn't produce an extra paragraph?

I can understand it might be hard to automate, but that's the way it works. You can file a feature request at Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

As far as getting an extra paragraph, that should not be happening. An exrta blank line, yes, a paragraph, no. If you are really getting the latter, you're doing something wrong, perhaps in your automation.

You can do it if you put the table in it's own text frame and anchor the text frame on the line. Then anchor the other object beside it on the same line.

No comments:

Post a Comment