Friday, April 2, 2010

Export Problem in CS-3

Hi Group,

I just created a technical cutaway line-art ai file in Illustrator and want to export it to Photoshop to render. When I choose the psd file format nothing happens. The spinning disc icon is doing its thing but the progress bar remains blank. I'm using a PC with the Vista platform. What to do???

Tom

Export Problem in CS-3

No quality dialog coming up no nothing? That should always be the first thing before AI even begins to rasterize the output. What are your document settings and how complex is it? Any raster effects that might enforce re-rendering for output?

Mylenium

Export Problem in CS-3

Bear with me, I'm new to all of this. I have come from the stone age where I inked with tiny rapidograph pens and produced extremely detailed technical cutaway illustrations. From there, a litho film positive was made from the inking which became the surface which was airbrushed into a super tight rendering usually at a 24'' X 36'' inch size. Now, I'm trying to do all this process digitally.

So, in Illustrator, correct me if I'm off-base, I set my doc size to 24 X 36 and need a super high quality output psd file at 300 dpi and also need to retain the layers. Upon doing that, I'm not sure if anything is really happening because the computer just starts doing it's thing without any progress info or status. The ai file is only 6+ MB. How long should it take to rasterize it?

Thanks, Tom

Mylenium,

Check out my response on the forum. Right now my belly's full of wine and

I'm checking out for the day. I'll tackle the problem in the wee AM. Thanks.

Cheers,

Tom

Tom Johnson

TJ TechArt, Inc.

11616 North Island Cove Lane

Portland, OR 97217

503-954-3732

503-475-4477 (cell)

Still trying to get my ai file into Photoshop as a psd. I set the ai doc size to 24'' X 36'' and raster effects to 300ppi.

Chose ''Export'' as psd%26gt; and dialog opened, then set again to 300ppi, options set as: write layers,max edit, and anti-alias.

Now when I click OK, it says ''not enough memory to save the file.'' The destination drive (C:) has 118 gig of free space.???

Help, I'm sinking.

Try this save it as a ai file.

Then in photoshop create your 24 x 36 300ppi document place the ai file in it before committing the file make certain it is scaled to the size you want the actual art and then commit the art work.

There is a certain size you can export as a psd but I am not certain how large that is.

Thanks, Wade....That worked, but it merged all the layers together and the

layers that I had hidden are now visible in PS. Plus, the rasterizing is

pretty ugly with very unacceptable line quality. I'm getting nervous, this

job is due soon and I need to get this exporting problem sorted out. Will

continue on investigating.

Just read on an illustrators web site that there is a known ''bug'' in Ill CS-2 and 10 that will not allow exporting a file larger than 28'' at 300 dpi. I assume this also applies to my CS-3 version. What's up with that? I could scale down the artwork but the client needs the image?at 24'' X 36''. I have Corel Draw

(never used yet) and tried opening and importing the ai file there to export but message comes up: ''having trouble opening file''. I live on a houseboat and am thinking about sending this computer to bottom of the river.

I tried to export as well and l would say it is too big to export as a psd you might try saving it ad a pdf and opening that in PS

the only other thing I can think of is creating a 24 x 36 psd fie and cu a paste or drag and drop from AI to PS

Or perhaps as an eps

No comments:

Post a Comment