Friday, April 2, 2010

Encore CS4 freezing with Windows 7

I have recently installed Production Premium CS4 on my new machine and have NO issues what so ever with any of the programmes accept for one... you guessed it Encore. I've had trouble over the year with all of my Encore versions but have always managed to get the running stable. My current version is installed and working on a Dell duel Xeon 3.2 machine running XP with no issues.

The Issue:

Fortunatly I can replicated it every time. Load Encore, open a Blu-Ray project and click on ''Help'' - ''System Info...'' bang computer locks up and a 7 sec reboot is required. System status = No other programmes running, Encore fully updated, Windows %26amp; fully update. It will also freeze if I import footage create a menu and click built project.

My System

I7 Intel 2.66

12Gb RAM

Windows 7
120Gb SSD Drive running C/ Windows and D/Apps.

Storage 3x 1TB drives

I have tried running installing it on a standard 7000rpm drive too but same issue.

Any ideas?

Encore CS4 freezing with Windows 7

The only idea I'd suggest is to avoid using Encore on beta system software.

If this still happens once Windows 7 is actually released, then I'd expect a bug fix from Adobe.

Encore CS4 freezing with Windows 7

Indeed, I would agree, that's why I'm still using my stable Dell and XP for my video projects.聽 That said someone has to start looking into windows 7 as candidate release is very close to the sellable product and I can't see adobe bug fixing until well after that time. I have read some posts where this same issue is happening on Vista 64. Window 7 64 is really Vista service pack 3

I have tried running it in all the compatibility modes but it's strange how out of the 8 products that are in the suite only Encore has problems...major ones at that.

Encore has a different origin, requirements, and dependencies compared to most Adobe applications.

If it's determined to be a bug specifically in Encore and not in Windows 7, I wouldn't expect a bug fix until Windows 7 has shipped. If you're interested in a timely resolution, I'd strongly suggest either filing a bug report (https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform) or calling Adobe Tech Support.

Thank's for your sugestions.聽 I'm going to install Vista 64 and duel boot the machine to test it. I'll let you know if I get the same issue/s.

Windows 7 can run a virtualized xp session that's designed to run programs that don't work in W7 so I'm going to give that whirl too. Three issues though, 1. Dynamic bridge does鈥檛 work cross OS even though it all looks like it's running on W7. 2. Limits me to 3.5Gb of RAM. I understand that Encore CS4 doesn't work with XP 64 which is a shame. 3. When vitalizing XP it uses the CPU to do the GFX so may not run well when using video apps. My i7 is running at 4Ghz so may handle it but I'm doubtful.

I found the same problem!

I'm running a stable CS4 version on Windows XP 32 bits, and I'm testing the Adobe apps in 64 bits OS due the memory limitation of the 32 bits.

Running Windows 7 RC and a fresh install of Adobe Master Collection CS4. In Windows 7, Encore is extremely unstable, crashing before any asset load, even projects that opens flawlessly in XP. Sometime, Encore even refuse to load, showing immediately the message to send a crash report.

As mentioned, all others Adobe CS4 applications have no issues. Uninstall and full reinstall doesn't solve the issue.

Valter-Brazil

Vista 64 test complete.聽 I have now tested my new machine with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 running on a new partition of my C drive and Encore is running well.聽 So, my conclusion is that it's a Windows 7 issue. When using Encore in Vista 64, Encore only appears to recognise 4Gb of physical memory when viewing system info, I have 6Gb in at the moment (taken other 6 out for now). As it was crashing in W7 it might be a problem with how Encore recognisesthe usable RAM in Windows 7 as when you try and access system in it locks the PC.

The odd thing is that if Encore in Vista 64 doesn't recognise more then 4Gb, like in my machine (odd number as a 32bit OS can only recognise 3.5Gb) then there is no point is upgrading to a 64bit OS. Anyone out there using Vista 64 to compare with?

Any one else with Encore CS4 using Windows 7 please post your findings.

Daveydoobs wrote:

IThat said someone has to start looking into windows 7 as candidate release is very close to the sellable product and I can't see adobe bug fixing until well after that time. I have read some posts where this same issue is happening on Vista 64. Window 7 64 is really Vista service pack 3

I have tried running it in all the compatibility modes but it's strange how out of the 8 products that are in the suite only Encore has problems...major ones at that.

Thanks Neil

Given the serverity and number of random issues W7 had running Encore I have decided to stop Window 7 trials (it does say RC on my copy btw).聽 I would advise anyone looking to run Encore with W7 to wait until the full release so you have some grounds with Adobe tech support.

Thank's everyone for your input and help. Encore CS4 beta testing with Windows 7... case closed....

VERDICT (for skim readers) - Windows 7 release candidate is not ready for Adobe Encore CS4 so stay clear for now!

I agree.

Windows 7 now is a RC, not beta, so Microsoft have no plan for major modifications in the OS itself until the final release, planned to end of this year.

Improvements and solve compatibility issues will be a job of the programs developers.

In my point of view, It's clear that the problem is in W7 itself, but I do have surprise about it, because the core of W7 it's very close to Vista 64, so I can't figure why Encore works in Vista and shows this kind of trouble in W7.

Sure, some minor issues it's acceptable in this case, but Encore literately freeze the entire computer, and it's very serious.

I also think that Adobe should take a look very seriously about this issue.

Valter-Brazil

Just a second thought: did anybody already consider that this problem could be related due to a driver problem, as video card driver issue?

I'm tired to see in this forum all sort of issues related to a video card drivers incompatibility, mainly with Encore.

Unfortunately, Encore freeze the computer so I can't investigate the log of the crash. Even if I was able to do so, it's so hard to understand.

I'm now suggesting to all people that have this issue with W7 that look for video card driver upgrade, and post again the results in this thread.

Thanks

Valter-Brazil

valterg wrote:

I agree.

Windows 7 now is a RC, not beta, so Microsoft have no plan for major modifications in the OS itself until the final release, planned to end of this year.

Improvements and solve compatibility issues will be a job of the programs developers.

In my point of view, It's clear that the problem is in W7 itself, but I do have surprise about it, because the core of W7 it's very close to Vista 64, so I can't figure why Encore works in Vista and shows this kind of trouble in W7.

Sure, some minor issues it's acceptable in this case, but Encore literately freeze the entire computer, and it's very serious.

I also think that Adobe should take a look very seriously about this issue.

Valter-Brazil

Hi Valter. I did think at first that is was a GFX driver issue but had no goy changing drivers. The problem is that there are not alot of out of date Windows 7 FC drivers out there as 7 is so new. I have an ATI HD 4800 =, what are you using?

I am running the same identical version Vista Ultimate-64 Bit and it works fine.聽 I'm also using less memory than you and so far it is working ALSO on Windows 7 with just a few glitches but nothing close to the behavior you report on that rocket machine you have.

I am running a meek Dual Core Duo E8400聽 3.GHz with 2 GB RAM and with an investment of about $1K less. With the Adobe Media Encoder in Premier, a it will take more than a water cooled Xeon to make much of an impact on rendering.

You need to do following things to get it working -

1.聽聽聽聽 Install the new pxhlp driver from http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/General%20Information/000070GN%26amp;P ARAMS=

2.聽聽聽聽聽 Turn off the sleep mode off in Windows 7.

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽

聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽 Steps to turn off the sleep mode -聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽聽

1. Go to control panel

2. Click on system and security

3. click on power option

4. click on change plan settings for Power saver

5. Set the ''Put the computer to sleep'' value to ''Never''

Hello Davey

I downloaded the latest driver for my ATI HD 2900XT video card, specifically for Windows 7. Also, I upgraded many codecs, particularly those related to H264 (for example Quick Time, ffdshow), since many issues occurs in Encore in HD/Blu-Ray mode, mainly related to H264 files.

Unfortunately, none of these action worked. Encore (and all the computer) still freeze every time I open a HD/Blu-Ray related project, or try to import a H264 asset in Encore.

Interesting, H264 (MP4) files play normally in QuickTime Pro player.

All these issues is related to Windows 7, since all of my HD/Blu-Ray projects works well in Windows XP.

So, I'm stucked. I need to move to a 64 bits OS due a memory management problems when working with HD/Blu-Ray projects in Windows XP, but I'm no happy to go to Vista.

Still waiting.....

Valter-Brazil

Hello, pgauba

1.聽聽聽 Install the new pxhlp driver from http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/General%20Information/000070GN%26amp;P ARAMS=

2.聽聽聽聽聽 Turn off the sleep mode off in Windows 7.

Hello Valter,

Encore installs Pxhlp and that Pxhlp version is not compatible for windows 7. You need to install latest Pxhlp version from http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/kb/General%20Information/000070GN%26amp;P ARAMS=

Pxhlp is used for blu ray.

Windows 7 Sleep mode --

Some burning issues, if system goes in sleep mode.

- Pankaj

I just checked this solution. It really works. It's a miracel. Or just technoligy?

Has anyone else tried that patch in Windows 7...Valter?聽 I have uninstalled W7 now so before I waste a bucket load of time it would be good to see if anyone else have tried it

Cheers, Dave

I tried the patch yes, and it's still running fine and no problems with BluRay anymore.

Davey:

The suggestion of Pankaj worked, but partly.

In fact, Encore no more lock and freezes the computer when I import files as H264 videos. However, I observe several typical program issues with serious problems of administration of machine resources.

As a test, I used a small 50 seconds H264 MP4 videoclip file, consisted of a slideshow with audio. The cursor always restraint and presents great difficulty to be manually moved in the timeline. When I get it to move, dragging the cursor on the timeline, it moves in ''steps'', with excessively long pauses to get it to move again.

When finally Encore gets to play the file, the image freeze in the monitor, in spite of the audio to be played without problems. A lot of times, doesn't appear any image, just a green screen that occupies the whole space of the monitor.

Somebody can think that it's a problem of few resources in my machine, however my processor is the ultimate Intel Core i7 975 overclocked @ 4.00 GHz, 6 GB of ultra-fast memory DDR3 triple channel, hard disks in RAID, videocard ATI HD 2900XT with 512MB memory; in other words, everything optimized for edition of videos.

In fact, the same H264 files play without problems in QuickTime and in Premiere Pro CS4. Therefore, I continue believing that Encore has serious problems with the 64 bits Windows 7.

I have the conviction that Adobe needs to deeply review the code structure of Encore for acceptable use in Windows 7.

Valter-Brazil

Hi,

Thanks Valter,

I'm going to re-install Windows 7 on a spare drive and try it with the patch. I'll let you know how I get on and will post my findings back here.

Dave

Thank You!

I've been trying for two days to get Encore up and running on Windows 7. I would never have thought to go to Roxio for anything, but this update was exactly what was needed. I've been testing the Windows 7 RC (Build 7100) 64 bit since the second day it was available. Yesterday was the first time I tried to open an Encore project. It froze on the splash screen at ''Initializing Transcoding'' and locked up the machine every time. I uninstalled, reinstalled, reinstalled the updates, tried the compatability modes, checked to make sure I had the latest Nvidia driver, turned off any startup programs that I didn't need, etc. Fortunately, Windows 7 reboots really fast... less than a minute from reset to desktop. Encore is the only program I've had any issues with sofar. I've logged a lot of hours in Photoshop Extended, Illustrator, After Effects and Premiere with no crashes or hangs. This may be pre-release OS software, but it seems to be more stable than the release versions of Vista or XP were. By the way, if you're planning to deploy Windows 7 yourself, you can preorder the upgrade at Newegg ($50 for Home Premium - limit of 3 and $100 for Ultimate - limit of 1) for October delivery ''while supplies last.'' It will cost a lot more if you wait and they don't charge your card until they ship the program.

Thanks again for the help

Torkel

I had this problem (Windows freezing) for months, the solution suggested worked for me on Vista RC 64-bit With Encore CS4.

There is also a very active Win7 forum at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro/

Any one else with Encore CS4 using Windows 7 please post your findings.

No comments:

Post a Comment