Friday, April 2, 2010

Print to PDF to save with small file...

So at work we have been saving super high resolution images in Photoshop by doing a ''print to pdf'' as we call it.

You print the document, but rather than selecting an ordinary printer, you select Adobe PDF.?Within the page layout of that printer, you can specify the resolution and document size to print/save, etc.?I love it because you don't loose any of the integrity of the image, but the file size always ends up being in the kilabytes, rather than megs.

At home, I don't seem to have that printer as an available option.?I don't do the installations at my office, so I'm not sure if there is a driver that I need to install, or does that driver only come with Creative Suite??I don't have the suite at home, just Photoshop.

Thanks for any ideas.

Print to PDF to save with small file...

It comes with the suite (Acrobat). But you can save a PDF directly out of Photoshop. Explore the joboption settings at your work and try to match them with your save-as-PDF settings from PS at home.

Print to PDF to save with small file...

Printing to PDF is ok. But you would probably get as good a results or better saving as JPG and tweaking the options on your compression. You will have to flatten or save as copy to go from a layered photoshop file to jpg.

If you really like printing to PDF and want to do it at home, and you don't want to pay for the Adobe suite, there are free PDF printers. doPDF is one I can think of off the top of my head. I have the full suite with Acrobat on my computer, but others in our office use doPDF for non-critical stuff that is going to be emailed, etc..

Kirk

Printing to PDF is ok. But you would probably get as good a results or better saving as JPG and tweaking the options on your compression. You will have to flatten or save as copy to go from a layered photoshop file to jpg.

J Maloney,

You are right, didn't think about mixed file with type (or any vector design) and photo. For sure that would be better to keep in PDF.

Kirk

No comments:

Post a Comment