Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Deleting from backup?????

Was curious on the easiest way to delete all my unwanted files from my external backup? every import i am backing up to a external and have lots of unwanted files taking up space.?any suggestions????

Deleting from backup?????

Lightroom does not access or monitor the backup files. So, you can delete them as you would any other file on your hard disk. However, be sure that you really do want to delete the files. Only delete those that you're sure won't be required in the future.

Deleting from backup?????

What some people do is to backup after they have made the selections and edits, then delete the original backup set. Obviously you need to be cautious in your approach.

Sounds like the most logical way but, i like the whole automated thing right along with import.?LR should come up with a way to sync both drives for this purpose.

Aim for the stars?

While I know the team take backup seriously, I think what you're asking a little far fetched for Lightroom. What you are asking is normal for a backup utility like Chronosync or SyncToy, but beyond the bounds of an imaging program.

Do you employ a system wide backup system? If not you risk far more than losing your images.

I truly dont think thats too much to ask for.?All it would take would be linking your external to the program when desired.?And yes, i use time machine but i also like to back up just my photos a second time.?and seeing how you know the team, let them know they need an update for tying in with time machine.?Or is that too much to ask also?????

It isn't if that's the feature you want to see in Lightroom 3.

Personally, I'd rather have lens correction and better import/export, including video.

The team isn't huge so engineering resources have to be allocated. That means prioritising features. Like you say, you already have a backup procedure in place.

Yes it probably is too much to ask - what about those who don't use Time Machine (e.g. Windows based installations)?

As Sean says, it sounds like using a 3rd party sync solution would meet your needs perfectly - on Windows I use Smart Sync Pro (similar to Chronosync) to keep my live images disk automatically synced with a backup drive.?It compliments my other system backups, and gives me an immediate restoration point for my images if the drive fails.

If you don't want to pay for that peace of mind, there are free alternatives available - I have used an Applescript based solution on the Mac and SyncToy on Windows in the past...

People have so many different ideas about what a backup is and how it should work that they would probably only please a small percentage of users with any system.?I think the backup as you import is to keep a copy until you do the backup of your image repository, with whatever tool does what YOU want it to do.

I don't have LR do that backup.?I used to keep the card until I ran my backup program, but recently I have so many pre-processing steps (fixing Olympus caption, fixing Olympus and Panasonic lens information so the lens is identified and is always the same for the same lens, adding GPS data) that I just keep that copy until I import into LR and run the backup so I can be less confused as to what is on my cards.

Get a disk for backups (or two), think through what you want for backups, get a backup program that does what you want, and run it.

Judy

  • facebook layouts
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment